The Chicago Rockford International Airport (RFD) is celebrating more than 75 years of reaching new heights in our region – and around the globe.
RFD has come a long way since 1946. We’re the convenient choice for passenger service to many of your favorite destinations, and the 14th largest air cargo mover in the nation!
And we have big plans for the future!
RFD is one of the largest economic drivers in the region and continues to create jobs and opportunities that positively impact our region. We know the importance our operations have on the lives of our residents and the benefits that are gained from strong economic impact. A few quick facts:
- The average yearly tax bill for a resident of the Airport Authority taxing area is just $25. This is a substantial return on a very limited investment.
- RFD and its partners are the driving force behind billions of dollars of the area’s economic development each year.
- The Airport is home to over 70 businesses/tenants, which add more than 8,000 jobs and contribute more than $2 million in real estate taxes each year that directly fund police, fire, schools, and other necessary governmental services.
Over the past few years, more than $225 million has been invested in infrastructure improvements and facilities at RFD. A $50 million cargo center expansion project is underway and is just one part of the Airport’s ongoing development to support its increased cargo activity.
The construction of the new $50 million cargo expansion project – which is 65% complete:
- Has created hundreds of construction jobs.
- Has generated 200 of the 600 permanent new jobs anticipated at the airport.
- Continues to add to the growth of the region’s strength in worldwide international cargo operations.
The cargo expansion project includes:
- A recently completed 90,000-square-foot international cargo center (currently being used) designed to accommodate daily multiple aircraft landings and departures containing international import and export freight.
- An additional 100,000 square-foot international cargo facility, which is currently under construction.
- A new airplane ramp to accommodate six 747 aircraft.
- A new road that will extend off Cessna Drive to accommodate an anticipated thousands of tractor/trailer traffic monthly to and from the facility.